Charged With Drunk in Public Under Penal Code 647(f)?
San Diego Public Intoxication Attorneys
We can Help! If you have been charged with engaging in a Drunk in Public, we can represent you in front of the judge and prosecutor. We conduct discovery and negotiate with the judge and prosecutor for dismissal or mitigation of the penalties. If we feel your case is strong to present in front of a jury we will prepare and hold a jury trial. We treat misdemeanors cases very seriously and strive to get you through it with as little consequences as possible.
What is a Drunk in Public?
A Drunk in Public Charge carries serious consequences. These include
- Misdemeanor Probation
- Fines up to $1000
- Public Work Service
- A permanent criminal record.
What is a Drunk in Public Ticket?
Under California Penal Code 647(f) it is unlawful and considered disorderly conduct to be in public and so intoxicated that
- One cannot exercise car for his or her own safety or the safety of others, or
- he obstructs or prevents the free use of any street, sidewalk, or other public way.
Drunk in Public Defense
Often, people are arrested for merely being drunk while in a public place. This is not sufficient for a conviction. The people must prove more than just intoxication. Typically they attempt to show that the defendant could not care for his own safety. We get your side of the story, review the statements of the arresting officers and any other witnesses involved and, if necessary, investigate the facts with a private investigator.
Successfully defending a misdemeanor case may include the following procedures:
- Court Appearances
- DMV “Admin Per Se” Hearing
- DMV License Status Hearing
- Motion Hearings on discovery and evidence admissibility/suppression
- Prosecutor Negotiation
- Judge or Jury Trial
- Plea Bargaining
Some of the strategies we employ may include the following:
- Discovery Sanctions
- Subpoenaing Documents
- Trial Continuances
- Pitchess Motions
- Witness 402 Hearings
- and others…
Hiring an attorney to defend your Misdemeanor Charge may mean the difference between a conviction and a dismissal. With high fines, a criminal record, and your freedom at stake, you need an experienced attorney to handle it. Our attorneys are the best in the business because:
- We are Knowledgeable – We know the law and procedure that govern traffic misdemeanor and DUI cases. We use the knowledge we’ve gained to get an advantage in court. Knowing the right legal maneuvers may mean the difference between a conviction and a dismissal.
- We Go To Court In Your Place – Under Penal Code 977 we can make all your court appearances without you having to be present. In most cases, you will never have to go to court. We appear on your behalf and represent you to the fullest extent of the law.
- We are Cost Effective – Hiring an attorney doesn’t have to be expensive. Our fees are reasonable because we have designed our business to be efficient. Many clients actually save money because they have hired our law firm.
If you are charged with a California Misdemeanor, contact San Diego’s best defense attorneys. We can help you get a great result on your case. To learn more about our procedures and how we can represent you, call today at 619-708-2073.
Request A Free Consultation
Scott Hullinger, Esq.
Criminal and Civil Attorney