Grand Theft Charges
San Diego Grand Theft Attorney
We are San Diego Grand Theft Defense Attorneys. Our attorneys work to Dismiss Grand Theft Charges, Acquit Grand Theft Charges, and Reduce Penalties for Grand Theft Charges in all criminal courts in the County of San Diego. If you have been charged with the Crime of Grand Theft, we can help.
What is Grand Theft?
Generally speaking, Theft is considered Grand Theft under California Law when the value of the stolen property exceeds $950. Otherwise, it is considered Petty Theft. However, other factors can escalate ordinary Theft to Grand Theft like when the property taken is a firearm, farm animal, or motorvehicle.
Theft is the unlawful taking of property from another. Theft is defined in Penal Code 484 as, “Every person who shall feloniously steal, take, carry, lead, or drive away the personal property of another, or who shall fraudulently appropriate property which has been entrusted to him or her, or who shall knowingly and designedly, by any false or fraudulent representation or pretense, defraud any other person of money, labor or real or personal property, or who causes or procures others to report falsely of his or her wealth or mercantile character and by thus imposing upon any person, obtains credit and thereby fraudulently gets or obtains possession of money, or property or obtains the labor or service of another, is guilty of theft.”
Types of Grand Theft
There are many types of Grand Theft. Some of the more common types or are the following.
- Penal Code 487 – Theft of Property Over $950
- Penal Code 487(b)(1) – Grand theft agricultural or aquacultural products over $250
- Penal Code 487(b)(3) – Grand theft money, labor, or property of $950 or more by servant, agent, or employee
- Penal Code 487(c) – Grand theft person
- Penal Code 487(d) – Grand theft firearm
- Penal Code 487(d) – Grand theft auto, farm animal
- Penal Code 487a – Grand theft carcass
- Penal Code 487b – Severance of other’s realty for cash w/felonious intent
- Penal Code 487d – Theft from claim/mine
- Penal Code 487e – Stealing dog valued at more than $950
- Penal Code 487g – Stealing/fraudulently obtaining any animal for commercial use.
- Penal Code 487h – Grand theft cargo valued at more than $950
No matter which Grand Theft Charge you are facing, we can help you get through it. There are many legal ways to reduce or avoid the consequences of a Grand Theft Charge. Call today to speak with one of our skilled criminal defense lawyers.
What Must the Government Show?
To convict someone of Grand Theft the government must show…
- The defendant took possession of property owned by someone else.
- The defendant did not have the owner’s consent.
- When the defendant took the property, he intended to deprive the owner of it permanently
- The defendant moved the property any distance and kept it for any period of time
- The value of the property was greater than $950.
Penalties for Grand Theft
Grand Theft carries severe penalties if convicted. These include
- State Prison
- County Jail
- Formal Probation
- High Fines and Court Fees
- Theft Classes
- Stay Away Orders
- Victim Restitution Liability
- A Permanent Felony Record for a Crime Involving Moral Turpitude
Defenses To Grand Theft
There are many defenses which, if pursued by an experienced criminal defense attorney, could result in a dismissal or acquittal of a Grand Theft Charge. We employ every defense possible to help achieve a Dismissal, Acquittal or Reduction of Grand Theft. These defenses include
- The Government cannot prove all the elements of the crime.
- Defendant did not have the requisite specific intent to deprive the owner of the property.
- The Victim and Defendant enter into a Civil Compromise.
- The value of the property was less than $950.
- The Defendant honestly believed the property was theirs.
- Theft was performed Under Duress
What We Can Do?
We are experienced and skilled Criminal and Grand Theft Defense Attorneys. We diligently and confidently represent those charged with Grand Theft in Court. We can conduct an independent investigation, gather the facts, obtain and review the government’s evidence, and argue for dismissal, acquittal or reduction of charges to lesser offenses.
Our Attorney Advantage
A Grand Theft Charge can have serious consequences. Hiring the right attorney may be the difference between a conviction and a dismissal. Take back the Upper Hand. Our defense attorneys are the best in the business:
- A Skilled and Experienced Defense Team – We are the right team to defend a criminal charge. We have successfully handled thousands of criminal cases and have satisfied clients all over California. We know the law, procedure and practicalities of criminal litigation that can give you the upper hand in court.
- Well Known and Respected – We appear in the courts of San Diego every day of the week. We are known by judges, prosecutors and our colleagues. Our attorneys have a reputation for competent and effective representation in the area of criminal law. We strive to achieve excellence on every case and have established a reputation for getting great results.
- State of The Art Legal Practice – We are a 100% Paperless law firm. All of our clients are given 24/7 access to everything in their case file. Attorney notes, evidence, witness statements and motions are all scanned and stored digitally in an easy to navigate cloud based system. Its encrypted to standards of the department of defense. Rest assured that your file is safe, sound and available to you whenever you need it.
If you or a loved one have been charged with Grand Theft or are being investigated we offer a 100% free Consultation by calling 619-649-2424 or emailing us at email@example.com. Talk to one of our San Diego Grand Theft Defense Attorneys today.
Request A Free Consultation
Scott Hullinger, Esq.
Criminal and Civil Attorney