Petty Theft Charges?
San Diego Petty Theft Attorneys
We are San Diego Petty Theft Defense Attorneys. Our attorneys work to Dismiss Petty Theft Charges, Acquit Petty Theft Charges, and Reduce Penalties for Petty Theft Charges in all criminal courts in the County of San Diego. If you have been charged with the Crime of Petty Theft, we can help.
What is Petty Theft?
Generally, Theft is Petty Theft under California Law when the value of the stolen property is less than $950. If the property is greater than $950, it is considered Grand Theft. However, other factors may escalate ordinary Theft to Grand Theft like when the property taken is a firearm, farm animal, or motorvehicle.
Theft is the unlawful taking of property from another. Theft is defined in Penal Code 484 as, “Every person who shall feloniously steal, take, carry, lead, or drive away the personal property of another, or who shall fraudulently appropriate property which has been entrusted to him or her, or who shall knowingly and designedly, by any false or fraudulent representation or pretense, defraud any other person of money, labor or real or personal property, or who causes or procures others to report falsely of his or her wealth or mercantile character and by thus imposing upon any person, obtains credit and thereby fraudulently gets or obtains possession of money, or property or obtains the labor or service of another, is guilty of theft.”
Petty Theft Charges We Defend
There are many types of Petty Theft. Some of the more common types or are the following.
- Penal Code 488 – Petty Theft of Property Valued Under $950
- Penal Code 490.1 – Petty Theft of Property Valued at $50 or less
- Penal Code 484.1(a) – Petty Theft from Pawn Broker
- Penal Code 485 – Petty Theft of Lost Property
- Penal Code 487f – Petty Theft of Dog
No matter which Petty Theft Charge you are facing, we can help you get through it. There are many legal ways to reduce or avoid the consequences of a Petty Theft Charge. Call today to speak with one of our skilled criminal defense lawyers.
What Must the Government Show?
To convict someone of Petty Theft the government must show:
- The defendant took possession of property owned by someone else.
- The defendant did not have the owner’s consent.
- When the defendant took the property, he intended to deprive the owner of it permanently
- The defendant moved the property any distance and kept it for any period of time
Penalties for Petty Theft
Petty Theft carries severe penalties if convicted and may include the following:
- County Jail
- Formal Probation
- High Fines and Court Fees
- Theft Classes
- Stay Away Orders
- Victim Restitution Liability
- Permanent Criminal Record
- Deportation as it’s a Crime Involving Moral Turpitude
Defenses To Petty Theft
There are many defenses which, if pursued by an experienced criminal defense attorney, could result in a dismissal or acquittal of a Petty Theft Charge. We employ every defense possible to help achieve a Dismissal, Acquittal or Reduction of Petty Theft. These defenses include
- The Government cannot prove all the elements of the crime.
- Defendant did not have the requisite specific intent to deprive the owner of the property.
- The Victim and Defendant enter into a Civil Compromise.
- The Defendant honestly believed the property was theirs.
- Theft was performed Under Duress
What We Can Do?
We are experienced and skilled Criminal and Petty Theft Defense Attorneys. We diligently and confidently represent those charged with Petty Theft in Court. We can conduct an independent investigation, gather the facts, obtain and review the government’s evidence, and argue for dismissal, acquittal or reduction of charges to lesser offenses.
Our Attorney Advantage
A Petty Theft Charge can have serious consequences. Hiring the right attorney may be the difference between a conviction and a dismissal. Take back the Upper Hand. Our defense attorneys are the best in the business:
- A Skilled and Experienced Defense Team – We are the right team to defend a criminal charge. We have successfully handled thousands of criminal cases and have satisfied clients all over California. We know the law, procedure and practicalities of criminal litigation that can give you the upper hand in court.
- Well Known and Respected – We appear in the courts of San Diego every day of the week. We are known by judges, prosecutors and our colleagues. Our attorneys have a reputation for competent and effective representation in the area of criminal law. We strive to achieve excellence on every case and have established a reputation for getting great results.
- State of The Art Legal Practice – We are a 100% Paperless law firm. All of our clients are given 24/7 access to everything in their case file. Attorney notes, evidence, witness statements and motions are all scanned and stored digitally in an easy to navigate cloud based system. Its encrypted to standards of the department of defense. Rest assured that your file is safe, sound and available to you whenever you need it.
If you have been charged with Petty Theft, we offer a 100% free Consultation by calling 619-452-2539 or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Talk to one of our experienced criminal defense attorneys today and take back the upper hand.
Request A Free Consultation
Our Petty Theft Defense Includes:
- Consultation & Advice
- Court Representation
- Evidence Review
- And More ...
Starting at $999!
Scott Hullinger, Esq.
Criminal and Civil Attorney